Translate

Search This Blog

Thursday, April 16, 2009

Federer and Nadal advance into third round

Favourites Rafael Nadal (n°1) and Roger Federer (n°2) qualified for the third round of the Monte Carlo Masters by beating Juan Ignacio Chela and Andreas Seppi, respectively. Nikolay Davydenko also progressed after a win over Ivo Karlovic.World number one Rafael Nadal reached the third round of the Monte Carlo Masters, although his easy-looking 6-2 6-3 win masked a rusty performance against Argentine Juan Ignacio Chela on Wednesday.The Spaniard, who is gunning for a fifth successive title, a record in the professional era, looked sloppy at times but regained composure when it mattered to wrap up the win after 86 minutes.Newly-wed Roger Federer, who could face Nadal for a fourth consecutive final at the Monte Carlo Country Club, eased past Italian Andreas Seppi 6-4 6-4.The second-seeded Swiss appeared very relaxed on a sunbathed centre court, clinching victory on his fourth match point after a final burst from Seppi.He will next face compatriot Stanislas Wawrinka for a quarter-final spot after the 13th seed beat Argentine Martin Vassallo Arguello 2-6 7-5 6-2."I thought I played okay. I had a good stretch at the end of the first set, beginning of the second," Federer told reporters.Maybe I could have made it easier for myself in the second. I had some opportunities. He hung in there and I didn't play my best. But still happy I came through so good."Federer, who married his longtime girlfriend Mirka Vavrinec last weekend, broke in the ninth game and took the opening set with a backhand winner down the line.

No comments:

Post a Comment